| Muhammad Hassan
Best practices to keep in mind while working on Canvas Apps
A Canvas App is a custom app which is built and managed from the Power Apps platform or Power Platform. Apps are built using Power apps drag-and-drop editor where components such as buttons, containers and charts can be arranged to create an intuitive experience. These apps are very citizen developer friendly so, anyone with basic knowledge can get started with building them.
Here are some best practices to consider when working with canvas apps:
- Use componentization: Use componentization to reuse code and functionality across multiple apps. This can help improve development efficiency and make it easier to maintain your apps.
- Keep it simple: Try to keep your app as simple as possible. Complex apps can be difficult to maintain and can cause performance issues. Remove all the unnecessary dependencies from it.
- Use standards and conventions: Use standards and conventions when naming objects, variables, and functions. This will make your app easier to read and understand.
- Unit Test: Be sure to thoroughly test your app to ensure that it is functioning as intended.
- Documentation: Document your app as you build it. This will make it easier for others to understand how it works and make it easier to maintain.
- Choose suitable data source: Use data sources wisely to avoid performance issues. For example, use delegable functions whenever possible and try to minimize the number of records that are returned by a data source.
- Use version control: Use version control to keep track of changes to your app and to allow you to roll back to a previous version if necessary.
- Use modular design: Use a modular design to make your app easier to maintain and to reduce the risk of breaking it when making changes.
- Optimize for performance: Optimize your app for performance by minimizing the number of calls to data sources and minimizing the amount of data that is returned by those calls.
- Use the community: Use the Power Apps community to ask questions and learn from others. There are many experienced users who are willing to help out and share their knowledge.
Join us next time, as we continue our journey of learning canvas apps.Click here to learn more about Imperium's Power Apps Services. We hope this information was useful, and we look forward to sharing more insights into the Power Platform world.