| Usama Ashraf
What is Beta Testing?
Beta testing is another testing type of Acceptance testing. Usually Beta Testing performed by real users or customers in real environment. It is the final phase of testing in which customers or users run their application or software to make sure all functionalities are working fine according to requirements. Direct Feedback of customer is a major advantage of Beta Testing. In this phase no chance of bugs identification.
Beta version of the software is released to a limited number of end-users of the product to obtain feedback on the product quality. Beta testing reduces product failure risks and provides increased quality of the product through customer validation.
Who involves in Beta Testing?
Usually Beta Testing performed by Client or end users who are not a part of the organization. The basic purpose of Beta Testing is to validate all requirements from end users or clients. They make sure all functionalities are working fine according to requirements or not. Sometimes Beta testing can be done by our office employees who are not a part of the implemented project or product.
How to do Beta Testing?
- All software or business requirements must be completed
- Test Cases must be ready to execute
- Separate environment must be established for Beta Testing
- Testing team should have good knowledge of software or application or Client should have knowledge of software or application
- All major bugs must be fixed
- Test Management tool and Bug Management tools must be ready
- All features developed according to given requirements
Types of Beta Testing:
There are different types of Beta testing:
- Traditional Beta Testing:
Product is distributed in the target market. Gathered different data from different type of users. This type will enhance the quality of the product.
- Public Beta Testing:
Product is publicly released to the outside world via online channels or social media platforms to gather different data to improve the product quality.
- Technical Beta Testing:
Distribute product in the internal staff members of an organization and gather feedbacks/data about the application usage. Sometimes technical people identified technical faults in the product.
Entry Criteria for Beta Testing:
- Sign off Alpha testing documentation
- All major issues or bugs fixed
- Beta Version of software should be ready
- New environment must be ready for Beta testing with solution of bugs
- All scenarios executed perfectly
Exit Criteria for Beta Testing:
- All major or minor bugs must be fixed
- Feedback report should be ready
- After beta testing, software should be bug free
- Reduce product failure risk
- Gather different data/feedback form different users
- Verify the installability and mobility of the product
- Improve quality via customer feedback
- Increase customer satisfaction
Beta testing usually done to validate all functional requirements met with given client requirements or not. In this stage of testing low chances in occurring of bugs, because Beta testing build is more stable than previous builds and maximum bugs were already resolved in this current build. Normally in Beta testing we validate different user experiences with our real users.
Join us next time, as we continue our journey of learning canvas apps.Click here to learn more about Imperium's Power Apps Services. We hope this information was useful, and we look forward to sharing more insights into the Power Platform world.